24 July, 2007

Flying Kites and Spinning Rides

The weather is beautiful again and was perfect for a Saturday afternoon ride into the Applegate Valley for a little wine tasting. I had already been to three of the larger vineyards, so Karen and I decided to try out the small vineyards. The first was wonderful. A breeze was blowing, a man was playing a guitar and singing, and the view of rows of grape vines with the mountains in the background was beautiful. Each wine had a story behind it and the owner gladly shared this with us. I was not crazy about the second vineyard but the third had tons of charm as it was small and family owned. This owner also shared many fascinating details about the history of the vineyard. I was informed that in late September, during harvesting of the grapes, I could possibly stomp some grapes. Lucy looked like she had fun doing it, why not?


Saturday night would not be a bore either. I was somehow talked into going to the county fair. While listening to Joan Jet sing "I love rockin' roll" was a highlight, the "people watching" was far better. Why is that county fairs bring out the cream of the crop? I felt special to have all of my teeth and not one tattoo on my body. I also learned that apparently as you age, you do not tolerate fast, spinning rides that flip you upside down. I felt nauseated more than once that night...or maybe it was the fair food.

Sunday had to be my favorite day. Several of us went to the coast to Brookings (pop. 6,000) for the Annual Kite Festival. I really didn't know what to expect as I had never been to a kite festival, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed myself. There is something very relaxing about sitting and watching these beautiful kites sore through the air. The fact that the ocean was right behind us didn't hurt either. The amazing thing is the passion that these people had about their kites. Met a man named Rob Craw who has traveled around the world to International kite festivals, and he was very kind to let me fly one of his kites. Who knew this was so popular. They also had people performing to choreographed music. It was actually quite fascinating to watch this group of four men make formations and trails with their kites. My favorite was "Big Bear" a forty foot kite that took a lot manuevering to get into the air.


After the kite festival we all went to the beach. The Oregon coast is absolutely gorgeous. You really need to see it for yourself. The water was warm enough to play in and the beach had plenty of shells and rocks to comb through. We had all worked up an appetite and of course had to have some seafood before we left.


After a long weekend of fun, I was exhausted and crashed very quickly. It is finally time to go home. I am very excited. This will be a much needed vacation. I have become quite accustomed to working for three months and taking a break. Hope to see some of you soon!!

No comments: