13 July, 2008

Four Score and Seven Years Ago...

I could not sit still for my last weekend in Maryland. So what did I do? I left...and headed to Pennsylvania. Charlie drove up and accompanied me across the Mason Dixon line to Gettysburg National Military Park. Once again I was reminded how I learned what I needed to know about history to make a good grade in school but never truly retained the information. I suppose now I have a greater appreciation for the history of our nation and as a result it has much more meaning to me. I was disappointed that the Gettysburg Cyclorama Painting was being restored and would not be open until September. We managed to drive through the 6,000 acre park listening to our self-guided audio tour and stopped for some of the 1,328 monuments and memorials that are placed all along the route. It was hot and we got to see some of America's finest families. By America's finest, I mean red-neck. We were taken back in time to July 1, 1863 when the Union attempted to hold off the Confederate advance at McPherson Ridge. We ended our tour on July 4, 1863 at High Water Mark, where the climatic end of the war took place with Lee and his soldiers retreating back to Virginia. It was amazing to think that we stood in the exact location where the largest battle ever fought in the U.S. took place and also where so many casualties occurred. Of course we learned tons of little tid-bits of information along the way and even ran into some soldiers. Ghosts? Nope. Just a group of men from across the U.S. who have a passion for teaching others about the war. We even met a cute little elderly man (who of course I connected with) and learned that he had four ancestors that fought in the war. We completed our day with a brief tour of the Gettysburg National Cemetery and stood in the spot where it is believed that Lincoln delivered that famous speech we all know as the Gettysburg Address. I really enjoyed our day and was once again satisfied that I got to experience another piece of history.

So now I have one week left in Baltimore before I head home. I am ready for a vacation but I suddenly feel sad about leaving the city. While I know that I could never live in the city for the rest of my life, it has been fun. I've mention before the hustle and bustle of the city and how I enjoy watching it on my way to work. I have even become fond of the homeless guy on the corner having an in depth conversation with himself. I will miss my afternoon runs to the harbor and running up and down the steps at Federal Hill. I will not miss the traffic or the endless sirens which have become unnoticed background noise. I am looking forward to seeing my family and friends, meeting my new niece or nephew, or relaxing!

No comments: