05 July, 2008

Fireworks, Crypts, History and Portraits

It has been a while since I have written, so I will have to reach back into my memory to recount all that I have done. Working in a Jewish hospital, I have really learned about the culture associated with the Jewish faith and it fascinates me. I decided to visit the Jewish Museum to expand my knowledge. I made some Matzo Ball soup (which I really like), and headed to the museum. I learned about local Jewish history, their traditions, and their immigration experience. I took tours of two synogoues, one which was built in 1845 (one of the oldest synogogues in the U.S.) and the other built in 1876. The older of the two has a matzo oven, a mikvah (for ritual baths), and a classroom where the first Hebrew school got its start.

The 4th of July was questionable with the threat of looming rain. The plan was to sit in our lawn chairs, enjoy some wine and a picnic and listen to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra while fireworks exploded in the sky. Not a drop had fallen from the sky all day until we arrived at Oregon Ridge. Then it started, forcing me and my friends to partake of our picnic inside the car. Not wanting to be defeated by the rain, we grabbed our gear and joined the large crowd of people hidden underneath their umbrellas and ponchos. The rain did eventually stop momentarily and the orchestra played all the traditional patriotic songs. Fireworks were coordinated nicely with "Stars and Stripes Forever". Despite the rain, we had a great time. (Thanks Carolyn and Kimberly for the invite. Kimberly the food was great!!!)

Saturday I attended a photography class on how to take portraits. Photography has become a passion of mine and I want to learn as much as possible. My hope is that one day changing the shutter speed, exposure, etc. will become second nature to me and that possibly it will be a side job. The class was very informative as we learned how to measure exposure, select backgrounds,and pose people to achieve the perfect portrait. I also learned that I need a lot of money to buy all the equipment that I will need to run a business. I sure didn't pick a cheap hobby. The class was held at Brookside Gardens and I decided to walk around after the class and explore. The garden encompasses 50 acres surrounding conservatories, growing greenhouses, a Labyrinth and multiple gardens. It had rained that morning leaving the landscape lush and green. I also visited the butterfly exhibit. Upon entering the conservatory, I was suddenly surrounded by beautiful butterflies. They were every where. Occasionally one would land on my shirt and snag a ride along the paths. There was an Asian moth up on the ceiling that was massive (its wing span a little less than a foot). I felt very whimsical walking through the exhibit.

Sunday, I toured the Baltimore Basicila, America's first cathedral. It was the first cathedral built in America after the adoption of the Constitution. Construction started in 1806 and rivaled the Capitol in size and sophistication. It wasn't the dark, ornate cathedral that I expected, but as the docent explained to me, the Catholic people had worshiped underground up until this time because the British denied this freedom. They didn't want anything that resembled the dark, gothic architecture in Europe during the Dark Ages. As a result, the cathedral is bright, with clear glass and natural light illuminating the building. It was restored and renovated beginning in 2004. It is absolutely beautiful. You can't help but feel holy. The crypts underneath the cathedral were even more impressive. The arches and floors made of red brick hold the tombs of some of the great giants of catholicism. I am glad that I visited this historic site. It made me reflect on my faith and reminded me that religion is a freedom.

Two weeks and counting. I am looking forward to coming home for a visit!

No comments: