I now have my cast off and have begun rehab. It is amazing what 6 weeks in a cast can do to your hand. My first session was tough. It didn't help that when I sat down with my therapist that another therapy asked, "Do you like pain?" Apparently Linda has a reputation for cranking people's hands. I had no idea it would be so painful. My therapist kept telling me to breath. I really wanted to cry but I didn't want to be a sissy. I suppose the pain was worth it. I went from barely being able to bend my fingers to almost making a fist. Of course my fingers continue to get stiff and I have to keep moving them. I have to actually think about using my right hand now as I have become accustomed to using only my left hand. Life is getting easier. Hallelujah! I can button my pants, pull my hair back, wear more of my clothes, tie my shoes, and cook, among other things. Although, I still can't use a knife too well. I know this will take a while, but I can't wait to return to all the things that I love doing. To my fellow OT's...I have a greater appreciation for you!!
I finally got out and explored. This weekend I went to Sylvan Heights, a Waterfowl and Eco-Center. It is dedicated to the conservation of the world's waterfowl. It has over 1000 birds representing more than 170 species, including many rare and endangered species. Now, I know that this does not sound like the most exciting thing that I have done, but it actually ended being pretty interesting. I listened to a lecture by a British guy whose father bought a couple of islands in South America for the purpose of conservation. He describe how over-fishing is affecting the whole ecosystem. The park is designed so that you actually are able to get up close and personal. It is sectioned off by the continents that the birds originated and once you close each gate, you are under a massasive net with the birds, some flying around. My favorites were the grey parrot that whistled the Andy Griffith theme song, the white parrots that danced and said hello, and the kookaburras whose laughing was so contagious that I couldn't help but join in and giggle too. I never knew there were so many birds. The personality of some of these birds was evident from the boastful chest to the pecking at my jewelry. The colors of these birds were amazing, such as the Mandarin duck, which originates from Japan. It was at one time given as a gift to newlyweds.
The Eco-Center is apparently a big deal, with biologist and avian researches coming from all over the world for conservation projects. It also breeds and raises the birds for major zoos and biological institutions. I really enjoyed myself. After leaving the Eco-Center, I drove to the square in Tarboro and walked along the sidewalks and looked at the large, grand, historic homes.
Next weekend I am heading to Washington, DC to soak up all the history and sights that it has to offer. I should have a lot to share on my next blog.
1 comment:
Glad to see you are having a wonderful and safe time. I know you will make the best of your time off, relaxing and catching up on things with the family.
Post a Comment