21 January, 2008

Chapped Cheeks, Majestic Columns, and Important Documents

Wow! I just spent three chilly nights in our nation's capital, Washington, DC. The drive up was short, compared to other drives I have made before. I got lost for a little while in Georgetown trying to locate my hotel, but I finally noticed the very small sign and settled in for the night. Saturday morning I meandered down Pennsylvania avenue and met up with David Luria, a professional photographer, for a half day lesson on how to best portray Washington in photographs. He took me to several of the famous monuments and memorials and critiqued my photos after he had provided some instruction. With a growing interest in photography, this was my favorite thing that I did the whole weekend. Since I did this at the beginning of my first day, I was able to practice all my new skills for the remaining time in DC. As David stated, "There are no bad cameras...only bad photographers."

So what did I see? I started off with the White House and it's high iron fence and snipers on the roof. I walked around and viewed it from the front and back. Not as impressive as I thought it would be to view, but impressive to think of all the former presidents that once occupied it, starting with John Adams. Since I did not request a pass from my senator or house representative in advance, I was not able to tour the White House. So, I settled for the visitor center which serves as a museum. After grabbing lunch at Union Station, which is beautiful and remarkable, I headed toward the capital. As I approached this iconic American symbol, I imagined what it must be like as our national legislators gather together and represent our democratic form of government. Did you know that there are electric subway cars that connect parts of the building or that no other building in DC can rise above the Capital Dome? Standing on the steps of the Capital, I had a grand view of the National Mall. With the hard to miss Washington Monument as my guide, I headed down toward the Lincoln Memorial. I stopped first at the World War II Memorial, the city's newest memorial. This had a little more meaning to me as I had just listened to stories last week from one of my patients as he recalled events of the war. He fought on the front lines and survived, but he watched many of his fellow soldiers die. Next, I saw the Korean War Memorial. This very realistic representation of the servicemen cautiously walking through the marshes, makes you feel like you are joining them for their dangerous mission. Next, I moved onto the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. As I walked along the wall amidst other people, there was not a sound. Many were searching for family members names. What a powerful wall. I also found the Three Servicemen Statue and the Vietnam Women's Memorial to be very moving. Finally, I reached the end of the mall and the Lincoln Memorial. Reading "Four Score and Seven Years Ago..." etched into the wall, I couldn't help but feel as if Lincoln himself was watching me. His statue is so life like. I as walked down the memorial steps, I couldn't help but think of Martin Luther King, Jr delivering his "I have a dream..." speech from those very steps on which I stood. Now facing east, the view of the Washington Monument and the Capital was spectacular. Feeling quite satisfied with what I had seen, and feeling quite tired from all of my walking, I headed to Georgetown for some dinner. The streets were hoppin' with people everywhere. There are tons of shops and restaurants. It was all I could do to eat and go get in bed.

Sunday was spent at a more leisurely pace. With temperatures in the teens and the wind whipping, I decided it was time to conquer the subway system. I will have to admit this terrified me. Do I need to stay on this one or get on blue line...or was that the orange line...maybe it's the green line. Which direction am I going? Needless to say, I quickly figured it out, with the help of some locals. I traveled all over the city and stayed warmed. My first stop was the National Archives. Who would have thought I would have such an emotional experience looking at three of America's most cherished documents. While nearly faded and almost unreadable, the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution, and the Bill of Rights were stirring. The emotion that I felt looking at those documents was nothing compared to what I was about to experience at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Seeing the graphic images of brutality and death, and thinking about how some of the victims had no idea of their approaching fate, was draining. I then hopped the metro and went to Arlington National Cemetery. Walking past the endless rows of headstones, you realize as you read them how young some of these men were. You also realized how many people sacrificed their lives for our freedom. I visited JFK's grave sight adorned with an eternal flame. Excerpts from his speeches are inscribed on a fountain wall. It really is beautiful. I ended the night on a happy note. I went to the Kennedy Center for a concert. I didn't realize that the Kennedy Center is a national memorial or that it is one of the nation's busiest cultural centers. The theaters are grand, as well as the Grand Foyer, which is one of the largest rooms in the world. At 630 feet in length, you could lay the Washington Monument on its side with room to spare. Anyway, the concert was great as was the venue.

Monday morning I walked into Georgetown for breakfast and reflected on all that I had seen.
I had such a great time this weekend. There is so much more to see in DC and now that I have accepted a position in Baltimore, Maryland, I will have more opportunities to return to DC. It is a great city full of history and amazing architecture. The memorials and museums are easy to locate and the best part is that they are free. As I was walking back to my hotel, I saw a man, let's say relieving himself, right there on the side of the road. I suppose my cultural experience was complete now.

Before I forget, a hand update. I have therapy 3 times a week and can now make a fist. I still can't bare weight on it though and my grip is pretty weak. I go back Feb 5th for a check up.
Will keep you posted.

No comments: