
Wow, hello May. Where did the month of April go? Shall we take a look back over the past few weeks. I went to a surprise birthday party Friday. I suppose it was was surprise for all since I really didn't know anyone. I did before the night was over. All the little old ladies made sure to introduce themselves to me and welcome me to Clay County. Turned out to be a fun night. I was pumped up for a hike in Cheaha. Mother nature however, had other plans. On to plan B...a trip to the McWane Science Center in Birmingham with a friend. What a fun place!! The kid in me definitely came out and I had a blast. I laid on a bed of nails and briefly considered a career as a magician. I forgot that and quickly turned to car and body mechanics as I assembled my very on car to race around the magnetic track. The five year old next to me looked very satisfied and delighted that his car was faster than mine. Next it was on to test my reflexes and response time as I competed with a robot. I wasn't so good at the expert level and the little girl that was watching was very quick to inform me, "You are losing. The robot is beating you." Ouch, a shot to my ego from a 7 year old. A quick break for an IMAX movie and then it was on to shopping. I was salivating thinking about lettuce wraps at PF Chang's but immediately lost my appetite after we were told about the 90 minute wait. At the recommendation of my friend Wendy, we drove along Cahaba Heights Road and looked for a unique "mom and pop" restaurant. We chose this little hole in the wall place. Mediterranean cuisine...yummy. I love that our food came out in our own glass casserole dish. I thoroughly enjoyed my food and was not the least little bit deterred by the tornado siren roaring in the background. Who knew that I was living in tornado ally? Watch the radar from now on. Any storm coming from Mississippi rolls right through here and it happens in the afternoon and at night.


The weekend before was fun filled and very much needed. My friend Seana and I decided at the last minute to go to the beach, trying to prove that we are still spontaneous as we age. My mission was to toss a mullet at the annual Mullet Toss. Unfortunately the line was really long and I preferred to relax on the beach. I can't begin to explain how awesome the weather the was. Lying on my lounge chair under an umbrella with the rolling waves before me was heaven. Until the off duty cop from Ohio showed up with his friends. Every other word was an explicative and he stood in a stance ready to pounce. He was not impressive and more like a character in Revenge of the Nerds with his swim shorts pulled up to his chest. Oh the people watching. It was wonderful. I took a book but just could not get involved because I was too busy looking around. Let's see what else. Oh yeah, we got stuck in the sand. Apparently Seana's jeep is not 4-wheel drive and the close parking space was not the rock star parking I thought it was. Lucky for us, there was an abundance of people willing to help us. I easily flagged down a big truck with two eager guys willing to help in exchange for our parking place. A quick connection of a chain, a little tug and we were on our way. Now I am forgetting something...oh yeah, did I mention all the freaks we encountered. Gone are the days of sending subtle cues "I am not interested." Guys seem to ignore those now. Just short of turning our backs completely away from this one particular guy, Seana and I finally had to walk away. I did love his pick-up line though-"It was something in your eyes that drew me to you." Looks like I will be wearing my poker glasses from now on. We ended our beach weekend by visiting some old friends in Mobile and eating lunch with some new friends at one of our favorite restaurants in downtown Mobile.

Two months left here in Clay County. Where to next? Only time will tell. Hopefully I will be working my way back closer south just in time for hurricane season.
No comments:
Post a Comment