24 December, 2008

"There's no place like home"


So, I have finished my assignment in Pinehurst, NC. As I pulled away from my condo early Saturday morning Lynard serenaded me with Sweet Home Alabama. I smiled hearing "carry me home to see my kin." I thought I would be a little more sad leaving but surprisingly I wasn't. The hardest part was leaving the great friends that I made while living there. I was fortunate to have worked with a great group of people, which made the assignment bearable.



My drive was uneventful, thank goodness. No, I didn't have the pleasure of viewing the inside of the Ruby Tuesday's fridge with about 30 other strangers as a tornado passed over our heads. I did laugh as I passed and saw the sign though. I stopped in Charlotte for a visit and brunch with my friend Amy. Next, it was Montgomery, AL to stay with my friend Seana. We had some Mexican food and then had fun crashing her brother's Christmas party. Okay, so we were invited. After going to church with Seana and her family, I continued south to Mobile. I went to my storage and unloaded all the things that I would not need. I think I heard my car give a sigh of relief when I removed the heavy stuff. I met up with my friend Wendy and we headed to the Bass Pro shop to get some final gifts. Okay, this store is huge and has a little bit of everything. It made me want to become an outdoor sportsman. I do have my eye on a kayak...of course then I will need a rack on my car. After leaving the madness we went to have some Thai food at one of our favorite restaurants and met up with our friend Jon. The next day was spent running errands, followed by lunch at Callahan's with Dewayne, Wendy, and Jon. I still say they make the best hamburgers.



I finally started my drive to Mississippi but not before stopping to visit with my friend, Heather in Hattiesburg. She was in town from Virginia with her family. It was nice to visit with her and meet her children. Finally, I arrived home and to good home cooking. I can't wait for the holidays and seeing more of my friends and family. Hard to believe I am about to turn another year older. Mom was right...the older you get, the faster it goes. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.

No comments: