It has been a long time since I have had a sleep over in which I brought my sleeping bag and pillow and stayed up all night talking. Okay, so maybe I didn't stay up talking but every time I woke to change positions, I would catch something out of the corner of my eye and be reminded that I was not alone. Possibly that was because I was sleeping in a room with a large tank full of patrolling sharks. My good friend Charlie drove up to join me and about 30-40 other people for a shark sleepover. We arrived at the Baltimore Aquarium around 5:30 on Friday night. We met with our tour guide, Al, who has been working at the aquarium for 25 years. We were then treated to one of my favorite meals, lasagna and cheese cake. After shopping for my ornament we headed over to the dolphin show where we had reserved front row seating. That was great if you didn't mind being in the "splash zone". After enjoying the dolphin show we all divided up into smaller groups with our tour guides and got to see the aquarium from an insider's perspective. Al provided us with many fun facts about the aquarium as we meandered through restricted halls and stairwells. We got to see where they prepare the food to feed the animals in the entire aquarium. They actually have recipes posted on the wall for each group of animals. We also saw the labs and veterinarian rooms where they treat the animals and also do necropsies. We saw where they receive the sharks and also guide them into the water. We walked along the cat walk just a few feet above the sharks careful not to drop anything into the water. I couldn't help but hear "dunah, dunah, dunah" (my impression of jaws). We were then treated to the new 4-D Immersion Theater. It was so realistic you felt like the waves were spraying water into your face. Literally! You never knew what to expect. From mist on your face, to wind, to the feeling that something is nibbling at your ankles while you watch rats scurry across the screen. It was a lot of fun. By this time, the aquarium had closed and we had free reign to it all. Al guided us along each exhibit and gave interesting tidbits about the fish and animals. We got to learn about what goes on behind the scenes. One of my favorite things was going into the rain forest. With minimal light, Al had to guide us with a flash light. Of course this was not so that we could see. This was so he could spot the massive toads along the way and avoid stepping on them. Little frogs are cute, but if I every came across one of these two pound plus toads in my yard, I would definitely scream and run. We had snack to tie us over until morning and also got to do a craft project. We learned about how they catch and track sharks and also why surfers are often targets. I will definitely always remember "yum yum yellow". Apparently, sharks like the color yellow. No yellow bathing suit for me. We then gathered up our sleeping bags, changed into our pajamas and headed to where we would be sleeping for the night. The floor wasn't that bad...a little hard but totally worth it to lay back and watch these sharks slowly glide past us. Sometimes you felt like they stopped and looked at you as if to say, "you look yummy". I woke up early and made Charlie get up with me. We headed down for coffee and breakfast. Others soon joined us. We finished off the morning visiting the dolphins and touring the frog exhibit. After playing a quick round of shark jeopardy between the three groups (which "Al's Pals" won) we were dismissed. What an awesome night. As Charlie and I walked backed to my condo, a little dishevelled with our sleeping bags and pillows, I couldn't help but wonder if the people we passed thought we were homeless. I do know one thing. If you carry your own sleeping bag and pillow on the streets, no one asks you for change. Hum...something to remember.
As if our weekend could not get any better, it did. We went to Canton Square and walked around the artsy area before dining at Nacho Mamas. Now when you think Mexican, I am sure that the last thing that comes to mind are velvet Elvis' and hubcaps. But that was the decor and the food was delicious. I particularly like the use of the hubcaps for a plate or to sip your margaritas from. After eating only a small portion of the gargantuan meals they serve, it was time for some ROLLER DERBY!! Just like it used to be on TV with women on roller skates knocking each other down. From their tacky outfits to their names like Flo Shizzle and Cindy LopHer, it was so much fun. I found myself rooting for the Junkyard Dolls and waiting for a close-line, an elbow or for a domino effect fall. By the time Charlie and I had figured out the rules, it was all over. I may be a new fan. Sunday we had brunch at my new favorite Irish pub. Doesn't have a pub feel at all. It is actually on old bank that they converted into a restaurant. It is very beautiful and full of history. We walked down to the harbor and enjoyed the sun shine and endless people watching.
Yes, I am still enjoying the city life. The traffic is not that bad and neither are the people. Work is very busy but makes the time pass quickly. I can't wait for more adventures. Hopefully will make it to Preakness. I have always wanted to wear a big hat and sip mimosas. Oh, and there is that whole placing a bet on a horse. Will keep you posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment