03 April, 2008

Star Spangled Banners, Beer and Bar-B-Que

I completed my first week at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. If my first week is any indication of how the next 12 weeks are going to be, I am in for an experience. After being stuck in traffic near DC, I arrived to my condo after hours. Key arrangements had been made. However, the security guard that was suppose to let me in and give me my keys was no where to be found. Hovering like a stalker, I waited for someone to walk out of the building so that I could get in. I eventually found the security guard and finally made it into my condo. I ventured out to get some groceries. This was no easy task. After circling the block, I finally found a parking place and had to test my parallel parking skills. The next morning I walked to the 7-11 for some coffee, but not before being approached by a homeless man. After he did not get the picture and kept walking with me, I finally told him to leave me alone. He responded, "I'm harmless, I'm homeless, but harmless." He would not be the last homeless person I encountered. I walked to the inner harbor and grabbed some brochures about the city. Then I drove my route to the hospital.

Monday and Tuesday were spent in orientation. It was here that I learned about the Jewish hospital that I would be working in. My biggest concern...not messing up my patient's Kosher diet. I listened as all of the Jewish holidays were described and learned how certain rituals that occur during these holidays could affect delivery of care. For example, Sukkot, the Feast of Booths and harvest festival. It celebrates the time the Israelites used booths in the desert. It lasts for 8 days with the middle four days considered "working holidays" in which Jews are not allowed to write, use electricity, etc. They would not be able to sign consent forms during these times. Patients who could walk, would also have to eat at least one meal in the lavish tent that is erected during this time. We also learned about major gangs in the area and that we are to notify security immediately if a member enters the hospital. I was scared to ask how I would identify these people. We were told not to leave lipstick on cups and leave them in our cars, as women are frequently targets. (Dad, don't let mom read that part). What had I gotten myself into?

The job itself is great. It is a large hospital, so I am on my feet and busy. Just the other day, the doctor robot passed me. Yes, that is correct. They have a robot with a flat screen as the head which displays the doctor's face. The doctor controls it from his office and it moves down the hall into patient's rooms just as if it were a person. Now if that freaked me out that much just going down the hall, image if you were a patient and it rolled into your room. I also find myself frequently singing Adam Sandler's song, "Put on your yamaka, it's time for Hanukkah" when I pass nurses and doctors wearing their yamakas. I will eat in the Cafe Shalom one day, a separate kitchen and cafeteria created only for preparing Kosher foods. Needless to say, I am definitely being exposed to another culture.


Living in downtown Baltimore, while scary at times, also has its advantages. I am close to everything. In case anyone was wondering what Lou Diamond Philips has been doing to pass time since Labamba...he is now performing as the character King Arthur in Camelot. Just across the street is the Hippodrome Theater where I plan to see many more plays in the future. I have already found a running buddy, a fellow traveler, who ventured out with me this weekend. Our first adventure-Fort McHenry. It was here in 1814 that an attack and capture of Baltimore by the British troops was prevented and Francis Scott Key was inspired to write the song we all know as "The Star Spangled Banner." Just a side note...it was first written as a poem and titled "the Defense of Fort McHenry." The fort never came under fire again but was used during the Civil War to house prisoners. It would also later serve as a hospital for veterans during WWII. So from now on when you sing the Star Spangled Banner, you can imagine Francis Scott Key viewing the flag still flying at dawn from Fort McHenry, realizing they were triumphant and being so moved by the defenders of our country, wrote a song. After learning about history, it was time for the Beer, Bourbon and Bar-B-Que festival. Local Breweries and breweries from across the country met up and paired their favorite beers and bourbon with Bar-B-Que. Of course, I had to sample the "Jewbilation" beer offered at one tent. It was fun and offered me the chance to check out the locals. After feeling claustrophobic from the growing crowds, we decided to head home and check out the city on foot. We climbed up Charles Street to the Washington Monument, the country's first major architectural memorial to George Washington. Yes, this was created before DC's monument but designed by the same guy. Baltimore really is a beautiful city. The architecture is unique and spring blooming all around just accentuates the details. As we walked away from the Mount Vernon district which is nice, clean and quiet we were quickly reminded of our side of town. Ah, the frequent sound of sirens, buses, and the occasional yelling match on the street resonated. We were home at last.

No comments: